Sunday, June 29, 2008

Cupcake Kit

This "Cupcake Kit" is a birthday gift for my sister-in-law. I got the idea when I was blog surfing one day, but unfortunately, I didn't write down the name of the person or blog where I saw it. If it was your idea, let me know so I can give proper credit! Anyway, the kit contains various items to make and decorate cupcakes. My SIL likes to bake, and her kids love to help, so I thought this would be something fun they could use together. I included some fun cupcake liners, various sprinkles, a spatula, a couple of decorating tips and pastry bags, and a cupcake recipe book (my favorite part!). Everything is contained in an old Stampin' Up! punch box that I altered just a bit.

The original idea I saw included a purchased cookbook. I thought about buying one also but then decided it would be fun to make one with my Bind-It-All. It was quite a bit of work getting all of the recipes together, formatting them, etc., but I love how it turned out! And now that I have it all together, I can use them again (I'm planning to make myself one too).

The book is 6x6 and uses BIA chipboard covers that I altered with cardstock, American Crafts DP, my beloved Big Bold Birthday set, and Jumbo Outline Alpha. The alpha was stamped in Certainly Celery and then colored in with a Versamarker. With the overlapped letters, I like how you can still see the outline of slightly darker color versus the Versamark inside.

The book has 3 recipe sections - cupcakes, icings, and fillings - so each section has a divider. For each one, I used the cupcake from Big Bold Birthday, coordinating American Crafts DP, various colors of cardstock, and the Round Tab Punch. The back of each divider was folded into a pocket to keep any other cupcake-related recipes that might come along.

The recipes themselves came from various sites - Wilton (the majority - they have a great cupcake section), All Recipes, and Very Best Baking. I also included my favorite cake recipe, White Almond Sour Cream Wedding Cake (if made strictly for cupcakes, makes about 5 dozen). The recipes were printed on glossy paper so the pages would hold up a little better than regular printer paper.

The card was based on this week's sketch challenge on SCS. I used 9 squares of striped American Crafts DP and alternated the direction of the stripes. The cupcake layer was adhered to a 3" square of Blue Bayou that has the small happy birthday stamp stamped as a border along each edge. It was adhered to the card with dimensionals. I think everything else on the card is pretty self-explanatory.



This was a really fun gift to put together. I hope she likes it as much as I do!

Thanks for looking!

Recipe:
Stamps: Big Bold Birthday, Jumbo Outline Alpha, So Very, Fancy Flexible Phrases
Cardstock: Whisper White, Chocolate Chip, Blue Bayou, Certainly Celery, Real Red, So Saffron, Bashful Blue
DP: American Crafts
Ink: Versamark, Versamarker, Certainly Celery, Real Red, So Saffron, Bashful Blue, Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Red & White Gingham, Red Ric-Rac, Stylized Silver Hodgepodge Hardware, White & Red Eyelets, Irridescent Ice Embossing Powder, Chocolate Chip Taffeta Ribbon
Tools: Swiss Dots Embossing Folder, 1 1/4", 1 3/8" and Scallop Circle Punches, Nestibilities Dies, Corner Rounder, Ticket Corner Punch, Round Tab Punch

4 comments:

Dottie K. said...

Carol this is just so adorable. I love how you handmade the cupcake book. What a perfect gift idea. You did a fantastic job on this. If I had a bind-it-all I would be giving these as gifts. Thanks for sharing such a great gift. :)

Kim said...

What a fun idea!! Thanks for sharing it with us!! I tagged your on my blog!! Please play if you get the chance!

Jen said...

how fun!! i love it! thanks for tagging me...i'll play along...sure! and i want to thank you for helping me find your blog...cuties!!

dragonflydreamer said...

I love your cupcake cookbook and kit. This is a great gift. Who doesn't love cupcakes?