Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Celebrate Today!

I was doing a little blog surfing last night and came across Julee Tilman's sketch challenge for the week (Mojo Monday). I jotted it down and thought I'd try it when I got time. Well, when I went to bed, I kept getting ideas for a card using that sketch. Most of the time when that happens, I know I just need to get up and at least start on it or I'll never get to sleep! So - here is the card I created, almost exactly what I envisioned in my head. Don't you love it when it works out that way!

I embossed a piece of River Rock cardstock with the Textile embossing folder and chose to use the opposite side. I like the subtle texture it gives the card. I used my corner rounder to create the scalloped edge of the Blue Bayou piece. (For those who haven't heard, Stampin' Up! is coming out with a scalloped edge punch in the new catalog! I haven't preordered anything yet, but I'm sure I'll end up with that punch at some point. Anyway, back to the card.) I added a piece of Chocolate Chip Taffeta ribbon to my scalloped piece, threaded it through the label holder and then added brads to the openings as well. The sentiment and small flower inside the label holder are from Papertrey's Mixed Messages set.

For my focal piece, I stamped the stem and one of the overlays from Out On a Limb. I wanted to use the Cracked Glass technique on it, but I'm almost out of Glassy Glaze and didn't think I could stretch it that far. So, I decided just to cover the entire piece in Versamark and emboss it with clear embossing powder. You can't really see it in the picture, but I really like the look it gives, just a subtle glaze over the entire piece. I then added brads to the bottom of the piece and adhered it to the card with dimensionals.

I love how it turned out! Thanks for looking!

Recipe:
Stamps: Out On a Limb & Mixed Messages (Papertrey)
Cardstock: Blue Bayou, Chocolate Chip, River Rock, Very Vanilla
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Blue Bayou, Versamark
Accessories: Chocolate Chip Taffeta Ribbon, Spare Parts Brads, Label Holder (unknown maker)
Other: Clear Embossing Powder, Textile Embossing Folder

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this card. The colors are great!!

Nancy Riley said...

It's gorgeous, Carol !!! I really like the way you used the depossed side of the dry embossed piece ... clever!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card! Love the sketch and color combo!

Tina said...

What a beautifully elegant card, it really is stunning...... i have to get some of those stamps... Crafty hugs Tina x

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Just beautiful. Love the colors and texture. Thanks for playing! :)

Ann said...

WOW! This is gorgeous! I love the way you used the flip side of the embossed panel. These colors look great together (and I am NOT a fan of River Rock). :D