Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Miracle Baby!

A friend of mine recently had her little girl at 31 weeks, so I used this week's sketch challenge to make a card for her. I knew I wanted to use the sentiment from That's Nice (since she really is a miracle baby), and I thought it fit well with this sketch. She was born at 3 lbs 14 oz, and after spending just a week at a children's hospital, she's back at our local hospital and doing incredibly well. She hasn't had to be on oxygen at all and is gaining weight every day.

For the card base, I used an 8 1/2 x 5 1/2" piece of Whisper White cardstock folded in half. After folding, I cut an inch off the front. (I could have also just cut the cardstock an inch smaller and then scored at 3 1/4".) The main background is a piece of 3 x 5 1/4" Pretty in Pink cardstock. I stamped it with the small flower from Papertrey's Green Thumb set in Pretty in Pink and the polka dot in Whisper White. I added 2 black eyelets at the bottom and then matted it on a 3 1/8 x 5 3/8" piece of Basic Black. I also added a strip of Pretty in Pink down the side of the left opening that I scalloped with my corner rounder. The right side panel is a piece of 1 1/4 x 5 1/4" Certainly Celery Prints DSP matted on a 1 3/8 x 5 3/8" piece of Basic Black.

The focal image is a 3 x 2 1/2" piece of Whisper White. I inked just the word BABY with Pretty in Pink and stamped it down the side. I then stamped the remainder of the sentiment in Pretty in Pink, carefully removed the ink from the word MIRACLE and markered it with Certainly Celery. After stamping the sentiment, I added the sweet pea image from Green Thumb in Certainly Celery and the inside "peas" in Pretty in Pink and free hand doodling around the edges. This was then layered on a 3 1/8 x 2 5/8" piece of Basic Black and a 3 5/8 x 2 3/4" piece of Certainly Celery. I added 3 eyelets down the side with my new Crop-a-dile and threaded each with a piece of ribbon.

Recipe:
Stamps: That's Nice, Green Thumb
Cardstock: Whisper White, Pretty in Pink, Basic Black, Certainly Celery, Certainly Celery Prints DSP
Ink: Pretty in Pink, Whisper White, Certainly Celery
Other: Black Gingham Ribbon, Black Eyelets
Tools: Crop-a-dile, Corner Rounder

5 comments:

Nancy Riley said...

Carol, this card is brilliant! I love the slight use of black as an accent! Wonderful layout and color combo! Great story too! Prayers for your friend and her baby.

Alhambra Club said...

WOW, fantastic, love the pink and green color combo, the paper, love everything. Your friend and her baby are in my thoughts and prayers.

Caroline LeBel, Stampin' Up!® Demonstrator said...

you do beautiful work! I'm so glad for the inspiration - TFS :)

Anonymous said...

This is such a cute baby card! I love the pink and celery color combo, the scallops, and the doodling! Another wonderful card.

Andrea G. said...

I love this card! The scalloped edge is wonderful.