Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Birthday Slider

Monday's technique challenge was to create a treat slider. If you aren't familiar with these, they can hold bags of microwave popcorn, candy bars, or some other type of flat candy. Well - I thought they were really cute, but I couldn't think of anything I could use it for soon, so I decided to make mine a card. My niece's 5th birthday is next week, so I needed to start working on a card for her anyway. And I thought she might enjoy an interactive card like this.

I used the dimensions from Nichole Heady's blog Capture the Moment for my card. The outside of the slider is a 4 1/4 x 9" piece of Rose Red cardstock scored at 4 1/4 and 8 1/2. I used sticky strip to adhere the 1/2" flap to the other side of the slider. For my front layout, I used Jen del Muro's weekend sketch. I don't remember the exact dimensions of all the pieces because I played around with them a little bit until I was happy with the layout. The striped DSP is from the Cutie Pie package. It is matted on Basic Black cardstock. The bottom DSP is from the Rose Red Prints package. I loved that paper in the 6x6 pack, so I had to buy a whole package. The focal image is the cupcake from Big Bold Birthday. The cupcake bottom is stamped in Certainly Celery, and the top is stamped in 2nd generation Rose Red with Rose Red polka dots. The small flower was stamped in Rose Red, cut out, and adhered with a black brad. I added doodling around the cupcake and then matted it on Certainly Celery cardstock.

The one thing I changed from the layout is the bottom strip. I moved mine to the middle of the card since I thought it would look more balanced to have the ribbon in the pull out be an extension of this strip. For the strip, I stamped the Happy Birthday stamp multiple times in Basic Black and then matted it on a small strip of Basic Black cardstock.

After the front layout was adhered to the card, I set black eyelets on the center right edge to thread the ribbon through for the inside message. I used sentiments from It's Your Birthday for the inside and just made sure to stamp them above and below where the ribbon would be. I added doodling around the inside card as well.

Recipe:
Stamps: Big Bold Birthday, It's Your Birthday
Cardstock: Rose Red, Basic Black, Whisper White, Certainly Celery, Cutie Pie DSP, Rose Red Prints DSP
Ink: Rose Red, Certainly Celery, Basic Black Marker
Other: Vintage Brad, Black Ribbon, Black Eyelets
Technique: Treat Slider

6 comments:

Kim said...

Love what you did with the challenge!

Melissa said...

Awesome!

Alhambra Club said...

Your card is adorable, you niece will be thrilled when she receives it. Great job.

dawnmercedes said...

I've made card sliders that are rectangular...but not square....thanks for the new twist!

Glad I stumbled upon your blog!

Anonymous said...

So adorable!

Nancy Riley said...

Absolutely adorable, Carol! That's some creative thinking!