Saturday, September 22, 2007

Big Bold Birthday Sketch

I needed some birthday cards, so I decided to do one for Beate's weekend sketch challenge. I realized after I finished the card, though, that my two panels are flipped. I made the one on the right higher than the one on the left, so it's opposite of the original sketch. I think it's fairly close, so hopefully it still qualifies.

My card base is a standard 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 from Rose Red cardstock. The striped panel at the bottom is from the Cutie Pie DSP. I've had such a hard time using that paper for some reason, so I was glad that I was able to finally add it to a card and like the end result! The Cutie Pie DSP is matted on Basic Black. The right panel is from the Rose Red Prints DSP. I loved the 6x6 sample pack that I got during Stampin' Up!'s promotion, so I had to have a full package of that paper. I love it and would love to have even more colors of it! It is also matted on Basic Black. I then added Basic Black grosgrain to this piece.

For the focal image, I used my Stamp-a-ma-jig to stamp the Happy Birthday stamp around the square. I then added the cupcake bottom in So Saffron, cut out, folded accordian-style (like a true cupcake holder), and adhered with glue dots. The cupcake top was stamped in 2nd generation Rose Red, and then I added the polka dots in Rose Red, cut it out, and adhered it with dimensionals. The candle is stamped in Certainly Celery. I used the out-of-the-box cutting technique to cut around the candle flame.

Finally, I used my Rose Red marker to selectively ink words from the Make a Wish stamp, so I could stack the words on top of each other. It was punched with the 1" circle punch and matted on a 1 1/4" circle of Certainly Celery. The bling in the lower-right corner are gems from Target's $1 spot. I've had them for quite awhile and always forget to use them.

Recipe:
Stamps: Big Bold Birthday
Cardstock: Rose Red, Basic Black, Certainly Celery, Cutie Pie DSP, Rose Red Prints DSP
Ink: Basic Black, So Saffron, Rose Red, Certainly Celery
Other: Basic Black Grosgrain, Gems

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carol, this is awesome. Love your cupcake, love the paper...wonderful card!
Have a great weekend. Hugs and smiles

Andrea, said...

Fab card